Monday, June 25, 2012

Toyota Corolla AE92 (4AGE 20V)

Hi there! So this is the name of my car, Neela aka Silver Shadow. It is a Toyota Corola model 1992 aka AE92, and EE90, SE Limited. It is a FWD sedan car. I bought it from a friend who went abroad to work. I'm probably the fourth or fifth owner of this car. Even if that's the case the car is still in good condition. The body is still in original form not until the accident. Yes, the previous owner had an accident with this car. The front left side hit a Nissan Patrol. So damage was done and replacements were put. The car looks the same as it was.

So I got the car last February 2011 with mileage of about 159,000+ km. Well, that's on the odometer. The car had an engine transplant. I don't know what the previous engine was(could be a 4AFE carb engine). So this baby got a 4AGE Silver Top engine now. It's a 1.6L engine with 20 valves! Some say it's just a 1.6L engine compared to a 2L engine. Well, here in my country this engine is good enough for me. There are lots of reviews out there about this engine. But all I can say is, this engine is amazing! I'll show a picture of the engine later.

Of course, power is nothing without control. So, she came with coilover suspension kit when I got her. The front is on a TRD adjustable ride height, 4-way adjustable damper, with camber plate kit, fitted with an unknown 8kg/mm spring. The rear has a JIC coilover with adjustable ride height only with an unknown 12kg/mm spring. I know, the spring rates do not match, so the ride is not comfortable. I have a stiffer spring at the rear. It should have been the other way around.

So, how's the look? Well, some parts were converted/changed to "JDM"parts. Some of them are front and rear sprinter bumpers fitted with nissan foglights :D, JDM thick side mouldings, JDM door handles, front and rear levin seats. Right side mirror is retractable and the left is not that's why I can't get it to work yet. The rims are just a Watanabe copy rims on 14's. Got an HKS Super Dragger muffler as well. The rest are stock "PHDM". Here she is. :)

I had no complaints about the car until around May. One night on my way to work the car won't run. I stopped and put it on 1st gear and the car wouldn't move at all. I can put it on any gear without the clutch and while the engine is on. I thought it was the clutch, it might have stuck up or something. The next day I checked and I still can't figure it out so time to call a mechanic. We took down the tranny, mechanic says it was the clutch disk. So I bought an Aisin clutch cover and disk. When we put it back we noticed that the transmission axle snapped. We checked and it was just welded that's why it snapped. Good thing I was able to get a surplus from someone and it's still in good condition. And then she's back again. :)

Now, let's check the engine bay. Like I said earlier she has a 4AGE 20v under the hood. Not much upgrade on it yet. So here it is.  

Next posts will be the upgrades and other changes. :)


June 27, 2012 1:18AM

So, that was the stock form. I changed a few things on the car few months ago. I don't have a picture of it yet so I'll just post them as soon as I get to photoshoot her. For the performance upgrades, I changed the stock headers to a 4-1 headers made by SMT(don't know the size, but it's few cm bigger that the stock). The pipe has been changed as well to 2"(been like that when I got her). Replaced the Simota air filter with an HKS mushroom type filter, plenum changed to aluminum as well with HKS silicon couplers. That's pretty much it on the performance side. Still saving money for other upgrades. :)

For the looks, I replaced the rims with a Rota Flashback (Work Equip copy) on 15s. Front face changed to what we call "wagon face" with a 'C' type grill. Got a couple of stickers as well coz I'm very fond of stickers. :D


July 2, 2012

I got my voltage stabilizer that I ordered way back January of this year. I've been waiting for this one for months already. I even messaged the seller telling him that I did not receive it. Actually it has been sitting there in the postal office since February. I've been asking the HR dept in the office if they received any parcel but none and said that it should be delivered in the office. I just found out that I have to get it in the postal office. The attendant in the postal office said that they received it since February and they already sent two notices to the office so I can pick it up already. I just got one today.
So, anyway, ads say the volt stabilizer help improve the ff:
• Increases Torque at Low and Middle Speeds
• Stabilizes Idling and Improves Engine Kick-Over
• Improves Engine Response
• Increases Headlight Brightness
• Improved Fuel Economy
• Improved Battery Life
• Improves Audio Quality


I really haven't noticed any of it. I used the car earlier, no improvement on the headlight brightness. That's the only thing I've noticed so far. The rest are yet to be proven.


July 9, 2012

Been using the volt stabilizer and so far I don't see any improvement. Well, idle probably became stable or maybe that's just me. I asked a friend whom I trust when it comes to cars and he said it does not really improve anything, it's just in the mind! :P 
One thing that I noticed though is the smell of gas in the exhaust. It started when I adjusted the timing. It so happen that the timing light gun is not working so I just had to do it manually. Now, the result is the smell of gas on exhaust. 
I've been noticing as well that my clutch is not getting any better. I hear a slight grinding sound, not smooth when shifting gears, very hard to shift on high revs. The mechanic said it could be the master clutch kit. I will get it replaced by this month. If ever I get enough cash I want a few more things on her and some maintenance as well.

Clutch Master replacement

replace all belts
Lowering springs(either Tein, Espiler, RSR, H&R)

New set of tires
Yellow fog lights
GPS Navi
Speakers
Headlight replacement


July 15, 2012

I've been observing the car since I connected the volt stabilizer and I can say that there is no improvement. Although I made some tweaks earlier. I can't stop thinking about it so I did finally did it. I retarded the timing a bit, adjusted the AFM using the screw(from closed to 8 turns), reset the ECU by removing the negative line from the battery for about 5mins, then warmed it up, took it for a spin and she felt different. I've never felt her like that for a long time now. She's got more torque! I can feel the VVT kickin'! I hope she stays that way. :)



August 14, 2012

It's been raining for a couple of days now. Water is somehow getting in to my to my car. Well, my parking space is actually not even, I mean the car is leaning to the right. So water accumulates in the the front passenger side. Another leak comes from the door on the driver side. Water is coming in from the window down to the stainless lining. I don't have the plastic cover of the inside sidings anymore and that i have a hole in the side for a 6" speaker. So that's a problem. I'm planning on putting a plastic in there after I put a speaker on it.
Another problem I have is the AC. It does not turn cold anymore. I have a leak somewhere in the AC lines. I had to wipe the windows just to see outside. So, today I had it fixed. The changed two O rings from the line near the wiper reservoir and of course freon refill. And oh, they checked the thermostat as well. They said it's not auto adjusting when you adjust the coldness. Somehow the lock is gone that's why when I adjust the coldness it seems that nothing is happening. So now everything is ok with regards to my AC.
I have another problem. My head lights. They're too dim. I cant see beyond 100 meters especially when it's raining or foggy and on asphalt. I guess the main problem there is the head light itself, not the bulbs. I have the Narva night breaker 90/100 watts. It was fine when I was using the PHDM face. Oh, I forgot to mention, I already changed to JDM wagon face. I'll post pics later. So, I went to buy a head light but to no avail. It's really hard to find these kinds of head lights nowadays. I think I'll just buy the surplus from a friend. I'm also planning on changing my bulbs. A good choice would be the Philips Xtreme Power. I will also have my wirings changed to gauge 14 and a relay. Well, I hope I can get these things done by tomorrow. Anyway here's a pic of my Neela with a new face. ;)



August 14, 2012

Had my AC checked and found a leak on the line. Rubber seal was replaced, freon refill as well and cost me 1000php. For now it's working fine and I hope that's the last time I had to get that repaired.


August 18, 2012

I just had my head lights replaced and rewired too. Spent 3000php for the materials and labor. I bought a blue colored head light. Not that I wanted it but I just didn't have much option. It's the only color available. Here's how it looks now.




August 20

Got hit by cab when it was backing up. Sh!+! Anyway, the damage has been done. I'll just have her fixed when I get home in Pangasinan.We're currently under a thunderstorm right now so I can't get her fixed/repainted yet.





August 23, 2012

I got the primary and secondary clutch assembly replaced today. It's giving me a hard time shifting gears. Thought it was the primary assy so I bought one already. When we were about to remove it we found the leak on the secondary. I just had them replaced anyway just to have a peace of mind.

Brand: Aisin
Primary assy. - 1800php
Secondary assy. - 780php
labor - 350php


September 1, 2012

I had the front tires replaced and wheel balanced as well at Rico's Tire Supply. After that I brought her to Special Stage Magsaysay Branch to have the wheel alignment.

Costs:

Maxxis Victra 195/55/R15 - 3,250php each
Wheel alignment - 1,000php (promo)

On the alignment they used this Hawkeye machine to set it.


We thought that it was aligned, but while I was driving I noticed that it's kinda swerving when I let go of the steering wheel. I checked it when I got home and the alignment was a failure. I texted the shop owner the next day which is a Sunday and he said he can get Jovel(the mechanic) to accommodate me. They don't actually open during Sundays. I think Jason(the owner) wanted to see for himself as well how the machine works and also of course to satisfy a customer. That's how you do business! :) So we did not follow the suggested numbers for the alignment. Remember that I mentioned earlier that the car had a history of being hit. That's why we just relied on "my hawkeye". So far it's doing fine. We'll see how the tires are gonna be after a while.


August 31, 2012

I decided to clean my interior. I removed the seats, carpet and sealing. It took me a day to remove them. Brushed the ceiling and carpet too. It took me like 2 or 3 days to dry them up. Painted the flooring as well with a silver color spray paint. Here are the pics.








So those are the pictures.


November 21, 2012

I started to use XCS gas from Petron with 97 Octane on September.I went back to my hometown and I was on a vacation for a month. They don't sell high octane there so I'm left with no choice but to buy what's available. I don't know if what I think is true but I think my fuel consumption had gone up. She used to run at 8km/l on city driving and 14km/l on hi-way. Now she's down to 6km/l on city and 12km/l on hi-way. I will be changing back to Blaze with 100 Octane as soon as she consume all that's left in the tank.

I do have some upgrades I got in mind.

BT Headers (thermal wrapped) with secondary - will get it from a friend - 6000php
2 3/8 pipe and resonator - brand new - around 5000php.

Hoping that I could get it by the end of the year. (crossing fingers).


December 17, 2012

I've been planning to get a descent/branded lowering springs for a while now. The ones I'm using right now is so soft. And after the long wait I finally got one today. It's already used but not abused. I'm OK with that. The seller said he used it for almost a year already. I got it from a co-member of our group named "Grupo Toyota". The springs are Eibach Pro Kit and it came with shock absorbers and top mounts. I got it for 12,000php including shipping ((from Manila to Baguio) still within Philippines)). It's a good deal already. The whole set has only been used for almost a year, well, that's according to the seller, and I trust him. :)

December 27,  2012

I got the suspension changed to the Eibach springs. Ride height is almost two fingers gap all around. It's stiffer in front. The rear seem to be a bit soft. I'm wondering if it would sag if I got loaded. I had to remove the wheel spacer on the rear right because of rubbing issues. I also feel like my front is higher than my rear. I'm also thinking of putting in my old shocks, they may be stiffer than the one installed now.


December 31, 2012

Went home and brought the car, loaded... Rubbing issues was terrible! I couldn't make the car run faster. I only got to enjoy it when I came back because I was alone and the car was not loaded. I will be replacing that rear spring. It does not make me happy anymore.



***Kindly check next blog title "4AGE 20V" for more updates. :)


3 comments:

  1. Yoh! I need your help..i want to have a civic sir but we have this corolla 1989 still lookin good..i wanna make it look fresh again and add some modifications,i have no problems with the engine(for the past 10years) my mom told me its a good car it only need some changes on the body.. its a 1.6L 16valvel toyota corolla GL...im not familiar with the car stuff i just want to preserve it because it my uncles first car... hope you can help... just email me at lorenzegallano@gmail.com i would really appreciate your response thank you god bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. After years, i just came back to this site and saw this. Sorry if i was not able to respond sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harrah's Atlantic City - MapyRO
    Harrah's Atlantic City. 천안 출장마사지 Directions · (609) 317-1000. Call 상주 출장안마 Now · More Info. Hours, Accepts Credit Cards, Wi-Fi, PokéStop PokéStop PokéStop PokéStop Address: 2 Marina Dr, Atlantic City, NJ 공주 출장안마 02201 Phone: 1-609-1000Timings: 11:00 am - 2:00 제주도 출장마사지 pm Rating: 서울특별 출장마사지 3.9 · ‎20 votes

    ReplyDelete